Monday, December 06, 2004

Herpes and Boners...

In my estimation, there can be no other more accurate summation of the modern TV viewing experience. Christ, I could not be any more tired of it, and I imagine that sometimes if I listen really hard I can hear myself getting dumber just being in such close proximity with the insiduous idiot box. With all of the uproar about violent video games, tv programming (decency a la Janet's naked breast), etc. this holiday season, why haven't the do-gooder, morally superior, minivan-driving, suburbanite soccer parents gotten their panties in twist about this? Could it be that by and large they hide an equally insidious secret involving flaccidness or bothersome genital breakouts? Hmmm...I will consider this more as the day wears on, but will certainly laugh at the next few minivans and/or grossly oversize SUV's that I see.

For those of you who would like to hear about something more serious, there seems to be a rash of people thieving the inflatable SpongBob's from atop several Burger King restaurants. Hard hitting stuff, won't someone please think of the children? Ugh..(looks around for more pills in order to cope)

So, I spent the evening last night catching up with AlCantHang's blog while I had the other half of that "spicy" cigarrette (which was pretty much BEGGING to be put to use) and generally tried to ignore the fact that Monday was around the corner. I was a little dissapointed in myself for not staying current with it, but how can I be blamed? It seems that for some reason the bookmark for his blog didn't make the trip over when I updated my Firefox from 0.9.2 to the 1.0 release several weeks ago. BTW, if you are not yet using FireFox, I demand that you stop everything and download it immediately. I won't go into the who, what, why of it all, suffice to say I tell you this for your own good (and if I'm really stretching, for the good of society as a whole). Perhaps my browser was trying to protect what precious little moral fiber I have left by keeping me away from Al's degenerate publication. I tip my hat to him though, as I would probably be in the hospital if I tried to emulate such adventures...there are times when after reading, I feel as though I myself have been through a night of drinking. I will stop raving here, and just sum up by saying that it is a great read.

Recently, I have run out of books to read, so I am rereading some favorites in lieu of my next trek to the bookstore. Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins, and following this I have determined that a rereading of Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is in order. It has truly been too long since I read any of Mr. Robbins material, as it is akin to an acid trip punctuated with exquisitely colorful language that appeals to my hallucinogenic past (Jitterbug Perfume is another great example). If you are even reasonably literate, you MUST start reading his work, as it has a wonderful effect on the cranium. REQUEST: Since a trip to the bookstore is looming in my future, does anyone have any recommendations? I currently have nothing on my must read list outside of poker and Just a Geek by
Wil Wheaton, so any recommendations are more than welcome.

For those of you that comprise my thus far limited readership, and whos sense of humor falls on the "wrong" side of that invisible line that seems to be so pervasive these days, I offer this link: Real Ultimate Power. Disturbing, Sad, and brought tears (of laughter) to my eyes. Perhaps it was only funny to me because I went through a similar phase circa 10-12 years old, though never to the depressing and nerdy extent of this kid. Thank God for the little things....

Lest I slip and leave out the "poker" portion of this little blog, here is a decent little thread about overapplying SSHE principles, and the dangers that lie therein. I think that I have decided to not try to get too ultra serious about the amount of time actually spent playing our beloved game, and resort simply to some nice relaxing "pre-holiday farting around" in which I will play 1 or 2 cheap ($5 or $10) one table Sit-n-Gos at least three times per week until the New Year hits. Hooray, my first poker mini-challenge (albeit kind of a lame one)! I will also endeavor to stay away from the 2-table Sit-n-Gos (that are a nefarious magnet for me) as they take too much time for my little mission.

Also, in the very near future, I think that I will begin sharing snippets from what my wife and I like to refer to as "the naughty fridge" in the hopes of bringing a smile or two from those who take the time out to read here. I'm not sure how long this sharing will last, as the fridge is updated only in the most random fashion, but it should be fun to see who else shares in our "wrong" sense of humor.

Let's end today's entry in a hip hop fashion: Holla on the flip side, when I'll be Thinking Bizzel, but my dome will be Much Bigger (-izzel). Hmmm, not so good with the ebonics, maybe I should not try this again. One Love. LOL.