Monday, January 02, 2006

New Years, New Days


Welcome to the New Year, everyone.

With every New Year comes new goals, and in that vein this post will line up with all the rest of the same flavor. But what the hell is this blog? It started out as a poker blog, and it still is, but to a much smaller extent. It’s always strange to look back and see how things change over the course of a period that’s as short as a year. In the coming year there will still be some poker, but I imagine that it will continue to be relegated to the background. There are so many more knowledgeable players out there with much more to say about the game than I’ll ever have. I’m sure I’ll mention any lightbulbs or drastic swings up or down, but it’s pretty obvious at this point that poker, while remaining an intoxicating hobby, is not the passion for me that it is for so many others.

Then what is the passion? What are the goals for the future?

Skimming back over the archives has provided a glimpse into what I’m struggling to accomplish with this hodgepodge. I want to improve my writing. I want to tell a better story. Get a bit deeper into some of the weird shit that runs through my brain. Figure out a bit more what it is to just be part of the teeming throng on this rock and relate it well. In the parlance of a boss from many years past, keep looking for “what’s life all about.” Get the book finished. Keep taking steps forward, even if they are plodding rather than the infinitely more desirable running kind.

See things as they are and go from there, instead for worrying about how I think they should be, which is likely going to be the toughest of these things to accomplish.

So where to now? Good question. We’ll see tomorrow, and then we’ll see the day after that. Another day, another dollar. One level up, one level down. Another blinder off, an eye opened a little wider.

Here’s to each and every one day at a time in 2006.