Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The death of the low-carb

The news was crying doomsday this morning because the low-carb fad has gone by the wayside. Were they actually expecting it to stick around? As a former bodybuilder, I’m all for the low-carb high protein diet combined with some good exercise, but the low-carb craze continues to piss me off.

A couple of weeks ago I made a trip to the store to pick up some stuff, and being in a hurry I simply grabbed some bagels on my way out. Yum, it’s been some time since I had a nice bagel. Get home, pop one in to toast, add some jam, take a bite. WTF?!! Who replaced my nice bagel with a sponge that tastes like notebook paper? I check the package and lo and behold, it’s a low-carb bagel, which sent me off on a tangent that scared the dogs and got severely on Mrs. Head’s nerves. Stupid goddamn low-carb crap. You can follow a good low-carb diet without all of the paper products manufactured to resemble food, and it’s a damn shame most don’t understand that.

Now it’s winding down, though, and big food is back, baby. Even if it is terrible for you, it is and always has been so very delicious. Word up to the Carl’s Jr. Double Thick Burger, a beef and pork heart attack extravaganza. Am I the only one who finds it simultaneously amusing and sad that as a society we can’t (or don’t want to) achieve any kind of balance? Four pound greaseburger or a paper bagel. What happened to all the normal stuff?

Just in case you’ve been off the planet or under a rock, here’s a WPBT tourney reminder:

Details: Wednesday, March 30th
$20 + $2 - No-Limit
Poker Stars - Private tournament tab
Password: thehammer

Also, while I’m giving out just in case nuggets, right now are some good times over at Stars. Compared to Party the cash games there have always been pretty slim pickings, but in the last 2-3 weeks they’ve gotten progressively looser and softer (the games, not Paris Hilton & friends, pay attention). I can only surmise that this is due to the simultaneous running of WPT and WSOP satellites and the like. A ton of loosey goosey people trying to luck their way into being another Moneymaker, who obviously enjoy spewing chips in between $2 Turbo Rebuy tourneys. It’s been like Party Poker extreme over the last few days. Just last night I witnessed an $83 pot on one of the $1/2 tables I was at. Eight months ago I would have cringed at such thing, now I jump up and down with glee like a short bus class that just inherited a million dollars….payable in candy and stickers.

Some people’s progression in this game is similar to that of the Tortoise.

Others are similar to the Hare.

Whichever one you are, if you’re decent and sit at one of these tables, you’ll get yours, no matter your speed.